RE: [N8VEM-S100:1333] terminating the backplane...

Hi John!  Thanks!

The S-100 backplane (8-slot) uses active termination circuitry.  It does work as you say.  I have an older model (6-slot) on my bench and it holds all the pins at about 2.7V until they are asserted high or low.  It works well and is much more power efficient than the passive or two-resistor method.

If some builder had to get one quick, I would just copy the circuit from the S-100 backplane to a prototyping board.  However Douglas does raise a good point and we should also have an active terminator board for non-N8VEM/S100computers.com systems.  For debugging if nothing else.

The S-100 active terminator board would be fairly simple since the circuitry is already proven and just has to be moved to an S-100 board.  However, there are many irons in the fire at the moment!