RE: [N8VEM-S100:6307] Paper Tape Reader Project

Those 555's are being used as voltage comparators and in a Schmitt trigger operation.  A hole will shine light on a photo transistor, the voltage will drop below the "Trigger" voltage of the 555 and it's output will go high.  When light does not shine on the  PT, the voltage will rise to above the "Threshold" input and the output will then go low.

Don, I would start with finding the right Photo Transistor.  You can't go any further without the sensing device.  A look at Digikey reveals a decent option to be p/n BPW16N-ND.  All other PT's are too big.  You need to put these side by side, and the pitch is 0.1" (2.54mm)  So even the 3mm PT's are too big.  There are 9 holes, 8 data and 1 for the track (which is used to clock the data).  That track hole is always much smaller, about 1/2 the size.  This way, when it gets light, all the data PT's have already been given light (this is like the Setup Time).  Also, when it looses the light, all the data PT's will still have light (hold time).

I would start this design by putting all those PT's on a perf board, 9 wide at 0.1" apart.  Then seeing what sort of pull up resistors you can get away with (higher the better).

Cheers,
Josh