RE: [N8VEM-S100:1961] S-100 80386 board and RAM board availability

Thanks for feedback Antony.  It turns out the ISA-S100 converter board and the corresponding PC style VGA boards have turned out to be vastly more complicated than I anticipated.  Andrew probably has a better count, but I think we must have done 6 prototypes so far.   It’s a very long story as to the problem(s). It has to do with the fact that VGA board chips require their initialization RAM and Ports to be in 8 bit bytes. They cannot initially accept 16 bit data.  So for our 8088 CPU board absolutely no problems. Any VGA, EPA, CGA board I use works 100% fine.

For 16 bit CPU’s one must send initially two 8 bit bytes back to back with a complete ISA MEMW* etc signal. Likewise for reads.  Even this I solved and can write to at video boards UNTIL an 8086 “rep” code prefix is used. (Screen clear, move etc).  During these times the boards jam IO_BUSY signals on the ISA bus for extra time.   The problem is the S100 bus is already held in a wait state during the back to back read/writes.    All this is done by careful use of a shift register pulling off different signals.  The problem is the ISA wait requests crap up the sequencer. They are variable in length and can strike any time.  Worse I have to make sure runt clock signals are not spliced together.  Probably way much info than you wanted.

Anyway I think the solution is to use two shift registers, the first triggering the second when it is done.  Unfortunately all this has soaked up literally 100’s of hours. (Perhaps I’m a slower learner)!

With Andrew we have now decide to shelve this project for a few weeks and get back to the backlog of other boards.

Just got the latest 80386 prototype going here (V6). Runs with a 40MH clock on the 32 bit overhead bus (10 MHz. for S-100 RAM/IO).  Waiting for SRAM chips to build a 32MB S100 daughter board, (8MB working fine).

However the elephant in the room is the need for a DRAM daughter board (as well as a future 80486 board).   In spite of some early interest nobody has come up with a suggested design.

By comparison the SMB, DMA (will be part on a new MSDOS support board), and a few other repeats should not take too much time.

Please try and hang in there I will up the turnover ASAP.

John

John Monahan Ph.D

e-mail: mon...@vitasoft.org

Text:    mon...@txt.att.net