Re: [N8VEM-S100:364] What DIP sockets to use in building boards

Thanks for the link Jack,

I have used both the machined sockets and the double-wipe sockets.

There is a case for both kinds on the basis of usage.

ZIF sockets (because of their weird pins) do not insert into machined
sockets. Even the double wipe sockets barely work for that.

I have had the metal inserts push out even under mild heat. The
machined sockets never do that.

It can be trying to insert the larger chips into the machined sockets,
but once they are in, I think they are better.

There is no doubt that gold pins have less contact oxidation/resistance,
and solder flows onto them well.

I did recently deal with some machined sockets that didn't want to
accept the solder, even though I use a kind with some flux. So if
you are going to buy the machined ones, use a reliable source.

Now that I am low on sockets, I am thinking about buying mainly
the gold machined ones, except for programmable chips, and then
a good reliable source for those.

Just some thoughts about your questions...

Douglas

On Jul 29, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Jack Rubin wrote:

> There are those who claim that only gold-plated machined pin sockets will do,
> but a more realistic approach might include the high-quality double-wipe sockets
> available from Phoenix Enterprises - http://www.phoenixent.com/ - minimum order
> is $50 dollars but that's not to hard to reach if you're trying to keep up with
> the N8VEM circuit board output! (Plus they have tools, etc.) They'll also sell
> you machined-pin sockets if you wish - you'll reach the order minimum in about
> 1/3 the time!
>
> Jack

---

  ‎//* * \\