RE: [N8VEM-S100:1607] Available S-100 PCBs

Alex, welcome on board!

If you want to get started right away you can buy a basic power supply and card cage etc off eBay.

There almost always seems to be something there.   See:-

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=s100&_sop=10&_osacat=11189&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0&_nkw=s-100&_sacat=11189&_from=R40

However many of the folks seem to have inherited the systems and don’t know anything about them. So don’t count on any help.

To get started in the 8 bit world you need a good CPU board, RAM board (best a static RAM board) , some kind of video board and an I/O board for data in/out. You will also need a system ROM based monitor to get the basic hardware working.  After that/later, a floppy disk controller and/or hard disk/CF card IDE controller for CPM etc.

There are literally hundreds of ways to put all this together with many S-100 boards.   It will take quite a bit of reading/asking around to get a system up. But it’s real fun and rewarding.   Take a close look at the web site here

http://www.s100computers.com/

for more info. Links to many other related S-100 web sites are included.  Andrew and I have done all of the above mentioned boards by now. However they go fast. We do these bare boards in batches of 20 at ~$20 each. So if you even think you may need one later on get them when they come available in a group purchase.

Good Luck

John