Re: Solder Flux cleaning question.

Hi Todd,

for all my S-100 boards built so far I have used 0.7mm 'Multicore Crystal 511'  60/40 solder which has good wetting and flow properties.
I avoid lead and halide free free solders as I dont get on with them, the old solder formulations had them in there for a reason !!
http://uk.farnell.com/multicore-loctite/609961/solder-wire-60-40-188-c-250g/dp/609961

and for flux clean up I use 'Servisol De-Flux 160' solvent cleaner
http://uk.farnell.com/servisol/100019000/flux-remover-160-200ml/dp/3821470?ost=servisol+de-flux

I usually use an old toothbrush and the above solvent to liquify the flux residue then immediately wash the PCB with a little
liquid soap detergent and water in the kitchen sink. Once you are happy it is clean (no flux or detergent bubbles) then
shake off excess water and warm board with a hair dryer to evaporate visible water, then place the pcb in a warm
cupboard overnight to drive out any possible trapped moisture in IC sockets etc.
Never had an issue with this solvent attacking either the silkscreen or board laquer, but always test before use if your pcb comes from a different 'PCB house'

also note that I always use 'sealed' dip switches because of my cleaning method - never had a problem yet.

see attached picture

regards

David Fry