RE: [N8VEM-S100:5139] S-100 Named

I probably knew what the "S" stands for in S-100, but like most things, I've forgotten it.

While looking through some magazines, I came across this article from Computers and Electronics, May 1983 that describes the origins and naming of the S-100 bus and dates the IEEE-696 standard as a process that started in 1979 and took 4-1/2 years to complete.  Based on those rough dates and the date of the magazine, it could be guessed that IEEE-696 was official in March or April of 1983.

Article attached.

Cheers,
Josh