Re: [N8VEM-S100:5636] Re: 8080a board

I don't know if there's room, but you could use the output on port EFh for 8 LEDs for diagnostic progress.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2014, at 11:14 AM, John Monahan <mon...@vitasoft.org> wrote:

Can we have the sense switch (IOBYTE) pegged to 0EFH to make life simple.  Is used a lot in our earlier software.

John

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Richard Cini
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:33 AM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:5635] Re: 8080a board

All good ideas, especially the 8085 and the sense switch input. I wish the msdos board had a sense switch input.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Tom Lafleur <laf...@lafleur.us> wrote:

Some notes for Ver one...  To gain some room on the board....

As suggested before....

Use only 4 wire rs232 with max232a/tr202, removing need for +-12v ( 3 to 4 chip saving)

Move to 8085, no need for +12 or -5v, less support chip needed... ( ~2 chip saving)

Make board stand alone, no other boards needed to make it run... ( plus 1 chip)

Fix upper address and data lines to bus issues .  (Plus 2 chips)

New ideas...

Replace 8212's with 74als logic (~ 3 chip saving)

Replace ram chips with one larger chip, (wasting part of the chip to save room if needed) 64k x 8 or larger like an as6c4008 with a poor man's mmu if their room on board...(use output port?) like zeta board.... (~ plus 1 to 2 chip saving)

If room, allow room for a dip switch with pull-ups on input port.... (~ plus 1 chip)

Just my ideas from building the board....

Tom Lafleur