Re: [N8VEM-S100:5026] Micro Computers your youngsters

If you do go down the PIC32 route, look at this part...
PIC32MX270F256B-50I/SP
 View Datasheet
It has 256k of program flash, 64k of ram, internal xtal in a 28 pin dip package for $4, you just can't beat the value of this part....  Plus the IDE and C compilers are free and development tools work on PC, Mac and Linux.  Basic would be easy to port...  I/O is simple....  I use it in my high school robotics program.... The kids do amazing things with them...

Lots of development boards...
http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/Listing.aspx?CatID=3&CatText=32-bit+PIC®+MCUs

This is the one I use in class... Just change the part to the pic32mx150f or pic32mx270F...  It's $35
http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=DM330013-2

Another basic port for the PIC32...

http://www.cpustick.com/index.html

Good luck....