RE: [N8VEM-S100:1287] LAVA-10 Zener Diode = 1N5226 (3.3v)

Hi

To get any sort of useful memory density we’ll need to use the Pseudo-SRAMs at a minimum.  Those are only available in TSOP-44 which is SMT but manageable.  The alternative is BGA packages which are entirely unmanageable unless you have the IR heat lamp or soldering oven.  Both are specialized equipment so the TSOP-44 PSRAMs are a viable if difficult option.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/IS66WV51216BLL-55TLI/IS66WV51216BLL-55TLI-ND/1981805

We might be able to use as many as 16 PSRAMs to get to a 16MB board.  That seems like the next logical step once we show the 4MB SRAM board is working.  Then it is all DRAM based solutions and that is going to get ugly.

I don’t particularly like SMT but recognize there may be no other choices in some instances.  Let use them sparingly when needed as needed.