Re: [N8VEM-S100:3951] Re: Power distribution across an S100 Board and voltage issues with TO-3 Regulators..

On 6/4/2014 8:54 AM, John Monahan wrote:
I agree with Tom, In general I never (fall for) cheap Chinese chips on
eBay. But I have to say, UTSource seems to be an exception.  I’ve gotten
probably about 6 packages from them over the years. Not yet,
V-regulators, but in every case the chips were 100% fine, and on the
surface definitely appeared to be the genuine article. Some (video
chips)were  in their factory packages.

It seem like there is a flood of 323k knockoff’s out there.    I have
actually been using 78H05’s   These are 5V, 5A regulators. Yes I know
overkill for our boards. But I happen to have an old stock of them
here.  Perhaps we should search around for these.

I like Ian’s idea of checking out used parts stores. I have not done
that in a while. I think I going to drop by a local one here ,
http://www.weirdstuff.com/ for anybody that lives in the bay Area.

John

I think a far better answer would be to start including a switching
power supply option (in addition to the LM323K) when designing new
boards. A builder could stuff the board either way. Something like:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM2576T-5.0%2FNOPB/LM2576T-5.0%2FNOPB-ND/212636

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2576hv.pdf

At $2.83, it saves money and heat.

We could probably design a little tiny circuit board that could adapt
the LM323K footprint to this switching power supply design for retrofit
uses.

Rob.