Re: [N8VEM-S100:1545] An 80386 CPU and RAM board for tthe S-100 Bus

Hi Bob

The S-100 80386 CPU & SRAM boards should really be considered a set.  While the S-100 80386 CPU board could in theory be used by itself on the S-100 bus the need for a lot of fast local memory is going to pretty much force a local memory board solution of some kind.  Otherwise the memory access times will be painfully slow.

The 8MB SRAM board is a start in the right direction but realistically it is going to have to get larger to be practical.  There was quite a bit of discussion about a DRAM based board a while back.  I am guessing we'll make an PSRAM board next or soon as an intermediate step to a full up DRAM or SDRAM board.  Memory size has to increase and we are taking incremental steps to get there.

Local DRAM and/or SDRAM add a lot of complexity due to the multiple bus master nature of IEEE-696.  It is not a simple problem that much we know for certain.  Most likely it is going to involve some here-to-fore unheard of changes like SMT parts, programmable logic, etc.

As John pointed out earlier, we really need a VGA solution to make this work.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch