Re: CP/M 3 Boot from a Compact Flash - problems and need help.

Hi Thomas,

just reading through my notes as I haven't touched this in a couple of months which I will explain in the other thread when I get a chance.

I'm not sure at the moment why the displayed LBA value is incorrectly large but I have just fired up my system which does boot and it also shows the same incorrectly large value. But don't let this worry you as the moment, if I remember correctly the LBA value displayed on screen is pulled from memory locations that contain the CHS values. The actual LBA values sent to the drive should be correct. I will look at correcting this display error and upload a replacement archive.

But to press on, looking at your screen shot it would appear that the MYIDEROM has loaded the first 12 sectors into memory but has failed to launch CPMLDR.COM as there is no sign on header

A couple of tests to start off with (forward screen shots of HxD if you can)

1) pop your CF card into a card reader attached to your PC and launch HxD, Open the CF card (extras > removable disk)
take a look at the first byte of sector 0 (address 00000000) it should be hex value 31

2) pop your CF card back into your S100 system, launch MYIDEROM and hit the 'I' option once so that CPM SEC = 0001
then hit the 'R' option to read this sector into the buffer, this should load LBA sector 0 into the RAM buffer at 0100H
hit the esc key to drop back to your Z80 monitor and use your monitor to examine memory location 0100H
on the S100 Computers Z80 Monitor it is D0100,0200, memory location 0100H should also be 31H

these two tests should go some way to indicate that the CPMLDR.COM file data is located in the correct place on the CF card and LBA sector 0 loads correctly into the memory buffer using MYIDEROM routines.

IF the MYIDEROM code finds 31H at address 0100H then it will proceed to launch code from this address if it doesnt find 31H it should flag an error before exiting.

LOAD$DONE:
 MVI E,REGstatus            ;Check the R/W status when done
 CALL IDErd8D
 BIT 0,D
 JNZ CPMLoadErr           ;Z if no errors
 LXI H,CPM$ADDRESS
 MOV A,M
 CPI 31H                          ;EXPECT TO HAVE 31H @80H IE. LD SP,80H
 JZ CPM$ADDRESS       ;AS THE FIRST INSTRUCTION. IF OK JP to 100H in RAM
                                      ;Else fall through to error msg

regards

David Fry