i~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~i

Tom Lafleur
(858) 759-9692

On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:57 PM, "Eric Osman" <er...@osmancrew.com> wrote:

Hi Tom -

When I ordered up parts from Jameco they had very few ALS parts.  I wound up with mostly LS.  Perhaps I should have tried another vendor.

- Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com]On Behalf Of Tom Lafleur
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:43 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:1450] New/Old Project (Altair restoration)

In most cases ALS is best.

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~
Sent from my Phone

On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:28 PM, Crusty OMO <crus...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Very cool!

I have an IMSAI 8080.  I checked the address lines and I also get 3.43V.  Using 8T97 chips.

You are right about the LS chips not being an exact replacement for the standard chips.
They will work well enough as drop in replacements for digital circuits, but a crystal oscillator is an analog circuit.
I have seen such oscillators fail with same part numbers by different manufacturers.
That same oscillator circuit even failed by simply installing a socket.  Trust me, I didn't believe it at first but after installing and removing it a few times, I recognize that crystal oscillators using TTL are very sensitive.
Lee Hart has taught me that CMOS chips make much better choices for crystal oscillators.

Back to your Altair.  The 3.4V should work fine, it does on my system.
The ring looks big, but I don't believe it's beyond a reasonable amount for a functioning system.
You can probably reduce the ring by terminating that line, but it's quite likely you don't need to.

May I recommend a "NOP" test?  Remove all boards except the CPU.  Pull the DI0-7 lines low.  Ground them or use 100 ohm.  There shouldn't be anything driving those DI lines, so be suspicious if you read voltage on those lines.
This is the NOP command, let the CPU run, now scope all the lines.  Look for pSync, o1, o2, clock, MEMR, DBIN.  The address lines should be counting.  Check your CPU for correct voltage, check the WAIT, HOLD and RESET signals.  Your CPU must be running, if not, then you have a bad CPU chip.  If anything isn't right, trace the signals back to the front panel switches.  Check that DI0-7 is reaching the CPU through the buffer chip.

I hope that idea helps. good luck.

Josh