Re: [N8VEM-S100:4409] v20-16, z80-20 and chip counterfeits

Curt -

I purchased two Z84C0020PEC's that were also questionable.  One was dead, one runs ok at 8mhz (I haven't tried faster clock speeds yet).  They had identical top printing and date codes, but the molding marks on the bottom were different.  The dead chip was replaced without question with one that also works fine at 8mhz.

Also a recent batch of TIL311's were used pulls (advertised as new) and 3/10 were dead in whole or part.  They had shortened tinned leads and obvious signs of removal.

I could write pages about counterfeit capacitors - my primary hobby is vacuum tube audio gear.  My experience is that 100% of Chinese capacitors are faked.

If Mouser or Digikey carries the parts it's worth the extra cost!

- Gary