Re: [N8VEM-S100:448] S-100 8086 CPU board done, ready for manufacturing

Andrew,

I understand that the 8086 board is about to happen. I have a couple of questions about that. The 8086 can address a meg of memory. Does the board need or use external
memory, and if so, what kind?

The other question is about what system software will come preconfigured for the board...

I believe I read that the board will come with BIOS code supporting the intelligent floppy card, but I am unsure about the availability of that card since I have had one on order for quite
a long time.

The existence of the ROM BIOS complicates things a little as you would want to have your
hardware be compatible with the provided system software.

Is there some reason a parts list is not provided for the new board? Are any of the parts expensive or difficult to obtain?

John's procedure for bringing up CP/M-86 on the board requires that you have 8" floppy drives, and not all of us do...

Is there going to be bootable system software provided? Will we be able to boot CP/M-86+ from ROM, like we do CP/M
today?

Oh yea... John doesn't know what he is talking about regarding the history of CP/M-86+. It was I who took CP/M+ to Europe and it was subsequently licensed to ACT for the Apricot to be sold along side of the Concurrent CP/M-86 v2.0 which I implemented on that machine. I am curious exactly what experience John has with Concurrent to be making comments about the difficulty of implementation and usefulness for beginners.

Douglas