From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Monahan
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 2:25 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:1785] IMSAI/Altair Front Panel Mini project

Hi Leonard,

The SMB see (http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/SMB%20Board/S100%20Bus%20SMB.htm) does some of what you wanted.  It does not have the deposit, deposit next capability, but you can single step, read data and address bus and set a hardware breakpoint (anywhere in the 16MG address space).   Frankly I always found a ROM monitor is easier and more powerful to fill, examine or change RAM.

The issues with the original IMSAI/Altair front panel boards is they use single shots etc and do not reliably work with bus clocks past about 4MHz.   The circuits will have to be different for 10-12MHz CPU clocks we have in our newer boards.

FWIW I will soon be doing with Andrew a Version II of the above SMB.  It will be better suited for higher speeds, but in particular allow better handling of master/slave switching of multiple different CPU’s on the bus.  (i.e. decode the TMA0*-TMA3* lines).

I considered the deposit/deposit next functions, however the 20 address line switches and up to 16 data line switches would leave little room on the board for anything else.

The only other way is to use a FPGA chip with lots of I/O bits directly to the bus  and a serial connection.  However that to my mind is almost the same as using a Z80 line monitor.

John

John Monahan Ph.D

e-mail: mon...@vitasoft.org

Text:    mon...@txt.att.net