Re: CPM3 memory banks

There is almost no practical upper limit Bob if you use the  Address line shifting hardware approach. The S100 bus has 24 Address lines (16MB).  If you switch RAM banks by switching in/out RAM cards via a hardware port, in theory 8 bits X RAM card size (I have not seen all bits/256 hardware). However again this is way more than you would need.
See here for more info:-

http://s100computers.com/Software%20Folder/CPM3%20BIOS%20Installation/CPM3%20HDISK%20BIOS%20Software.htm

You can run a non banked version of CPM3 in about 60K or less, however two banks are the norm, more banks are really only used for disk buffering/speed.