From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Caprio
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2015 2:15 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:5946] SOIC Packages For S100 Boards - Survey Question

Thanks for all the feedback. There were a lot of good arguments
for both sides. Each with it's own merit.

I think the consensus is stick with through-hole. I have to admit
that I'd hate to give up sockets. This is a good way to debug a
board and I'd hate to give that up. Plus I'm getting up there in age
as well and my eyes aren't what they use to be.

For my next version of the mini I do have some ideas to make
make more real estate available. The filer caps take up a lot of room.
I could go with a smaller footprint. I'm also wondering if one filter cap
could be used for 2, or 4 IC's. It's nice to have all the Pin 1's oriented
the same so that would blow that standard.

I've also seen the filter caps put in the center of the socket. I'm not fond of this idea.

Replace resistor nets with discrete and place resistor between LED's (yuck).

--
Don Caprio
ilv...@gmail.com