Re: [N8VEM-S100:5172] Tantalum capacitor replacement?

I had a spectacular failure of a "new old stock" tantalum cap on a ZFDC board a few weeks ago - burned about 3" of tracing right off of the board.

Typically I'll test a cap for leakage at rated voltage before using, but I got lazy that night.

My understanding is that elevated ESR is only one failure mode in Tantalum caps, I found this article which puts the failures in some perspective (although it focuses more on "modern" tantalum capacitors).

http://www.kemet.com/Lists/TechnicalArticles/Attachments/199/2014%20EDFA%20Tantalum%20Cap%20Failure%20Analysis%20Review%20by%20Javaid%20Qazi.pdf

- Gary