Re: [N8VEM-S100:899] oscilloscope recommendation

My old scope was sold by JDR (San Jose, CA.).  It was cheaply made (in Korea), and that is why I could afford it.  It was 35 MHz, dual trace.  Probably had way more capability than I'd ever need.  I would be using a scope to troubleshoot the S-100 cards produced by John and Andrew.  Probably 10 to 12 MHz would be the fastest signal I'd ever be looking at.  For example, I was trying to get the ZFDC card working.  The enables on the two bus interface LS244s (U16 and U25) remained high during I/O even though the LS682 (U23) and the LS139 (U19) appeared to be working as expected (using a logic probe).  I tracked this problem back to the LS32 (U20).  The two inputs to the gate were wiggling (as expected), but the output remained high.  The chip was OK, so I was going to look at the relative timings of the two inputs.  That's when my scope died.

-----Original Message-----
From: js <...@cimmeri.com>
To: n8vem-s100 <n8v...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Jul 9, 2012 10:11 am
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:899] oscilloscope recommendation

What did you have before, and what's the fastest signal you look at?

- John S.

norwe...@aol.com wrote:
My scope has bitten the dust.  There are so many different types of scopes available now that it is difficult to know what would work best for me.  I'm an amateur.  I only use one every so often.  What would be a good choice for me?  Anybody have an opinion?

Thanks.

Roger