Fwd: [N8VEM: 19848] Altair 8800 Motherboard Replacement

Redirecting ...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kip Koon <compu...@sc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Subject: [N8VEM: 19848] Altair 8800 Motherboard Replacement
To: n8...@googlegroups.com

Hi Guys,

I have an Altair 8800 full of cards, but the backplane is in 3 4-slot sections wired together.

Does N8VEM have any motherboards that will fit my Altair should I choose to restore it?  It has not been powered up since before I bought it way back in the late ‘70s to early ‘80s timeframe.  I looked to see if I could easily disconnect everything from the power supply several years back and I found that the front panel is permanently wired to the backplane so if I do replace the backplane I have a lot of work ahead of me.  Total restoration could take a while and my workbench is kind of dinky so leaving everything laid out is not an option at this point.  I know there is at least a 21 slot S-100 backplane, but from what I remember looking inside my Altair, I wouldn’t think that would fit.

What procedures should I follow should I decide to dive into this project?  I would like to see it run someday though I imagine it would be painfully slow compared to my 25MHZ Z80 Multicomp running MP/M with 512KB of ram.

Any thoughts, ideas, helpful hints?

Kip Koon

compu...@sc.rr.com