Re: [N8VEM-S100:7327] Re: Possible updates to the N8VEM SBC V2 BOM

I use1206 parts, they fit fine over the .2in spacing used on our boards

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

On Jun 28, 2015, at 8:35 AM, Richard Cini <rich...@verizon.net> wrote:

Interesting idea. I wonder (out loud) if changing all bypass caps to something like 2012 or larger and mounting them on the back would free up additional top-side space in the denser boards?

I remember long ago that some people used IC sockets with a bypass cap mounted in the center of the socket. I think they still make them, but they probably cost more than the sum of a regular socket and cap.

For parts ordering, I usually use Digi-Key or Jameco; sometimes Mouser but only if the others don’t have it. I also buy odder parts from “acpsurplus” or “huskerfan40214” on eBay. I usually buy ahead and in bulk for projects to I try to take advantage of volume discounts. The downside is that I have a large box of tubes of chips. When a new project comes up, I “go to the parts cage” and pull parts, then do a fill-in order if needed. If I’m running low, I’ll order in quantity and stock it. For the most part, I’m only doing refill orders at this point — it’s rare that I don’t have a part in-stock. I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my inventory so I know where I am with stuff.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers

From: S100-Post <n8vem...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Paul Birkel <pbi...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM
To: S100-Post <n8vem...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:7326] Re: [N8VEM: 19750] Re: Possible updates to the N8VEM SBC V2 BOM

SMT bypass caps --  a very novel idea ... at least for me.  Need to try it!  What (physical) size?

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Tom Lafleur <laf...@lafleur.us> wrote:

I often use surface mounted .1uf/50v capacitor to replace the axial wire lead capacitors used on most of our projects.  I mount them on the back of the boards.  Their cheaper and easy to find, and for me they take less time to install.

Getting use to substitution of parts is just part of the hobby!

Tom Lafleur