RE: [N8VEM-S100:3228] Minimal Z80 system startup questions.

I agree 100% Gary.

One of the great advantages of the S100 bus is that you can add (or remove) components in stages to get things working.

As Gary stated, start with a Z80 CPU board preferably one with its own onboard ROM.

Show you can on reset get it to HALT. 76H in ROM, first at 0h, later at the “boot” address.  No RAM is required.

Add whatever board you are using for character displays (e.g. our Console-IO board).

In ROM continuously output a character to the screen. Again no RAM is required

Add whatever console input board you are using.

Continuously output the last keyboard character entered. No RAM is required.

Next add RAM board.

Either use my “stackless” monitor Gary mentioned below or write a routine to place 76H in RAM and jump to there. Then a routine to display the keyboard character…

Next add the Z80 Master monitor (or your own) and thoroughly check hardware.  Copy, move memory etc.

To bring up CPM, by far, the easiest is a non-banked version of CPM3 on the Dual IDE board.  The web page shows how to do it.

I know this is a long process but believe me it’s the fastest in the end.  Plopping in 4 or 5 new boards and hoping to get everything working at once is difficult.  Not impossible BTW, if you know your electronics and use a logic probe an experienced hardware guy can quickly nail a problem. The reason I have so much “bling” LED’s is they quickly focus in on where problems are.

Good luck