RE: [N8VEM-S100:4095] Re: CF IDE card checkout and final assembly problem

Thomas, this kind of thing was one of the reasons why the S100 bus IEEE-696 standard was setup.  A number of the early Z80 boards (like the Cromemco and TDL Z80 boards) did not shoehorn some of the signals well to work with other boards.   The IEEE spec specifies that the main Read/Write strobes rise and fall (or fall & rise) completely within the window in which the address lines are stable.  If you look at our Z80 board page you will see that the pDBIN and pWR* strobes meet this criteria. See here:-

http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/Z80%20Board/Z80%20CPU%20Board.htm

Scroll down to “status signal decoding”.  It looks like you can get away with it at 2MHz but I’m afraid at higher speeds it will catch up with you.  I run the above Z80 board at 10MHz  (+2 I/O wait states).

The easiest way to take care of the above problem is to latch the address lines on the CPU board, the early boards did not and delay the R/W strobes with a few gates.   That’s what is done on our Z80 board.  This apparently minor point, caused me no end of problems getting the 80386 to work on the bus.  It took two prototype versions to have a pWR* strobe meet the above criteria and work reliably with new and old S100 RAM boards.

John