RE: [N8VEM-S100:6383] Discussion About Filter Capacitors

The data sheet for these caps says "Low residual inductance and excellent frequency characteristics...", which sounds to me like fast transient response.  I think the tantalums may have been specified by the early 78xx series regulators because that was the best available at the time (over aluminum electrolytics.)  Frankly, I have never seen a 78xx regulator be unstable with either aluminum or tantalum electrolytics.  However, when using aluminum, I typically use 47 or 100 uF on the input, and 10 uF on the output as well as a 0.1 uF ceramic right next to it.

Bob Bell

-----Original Message-----
From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of lcyoung
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 3:42 AM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:6383] Discussion About Filter Capacitors

Ceramic disc caps (I have read) are not the best for bypass use nowadays, though they used to be in common use.
Monolithic caps are usually much better for this and take less real estate on the PCB.
Also, I believe the older 78xx and 79xx data sheets specified tantalums?
Faster transient response, presumably- which helped stabilize the regulator IC.

Leonard