Sorry for the noise...

Apologies for the "testing". I've been flailing around for a couple of days trying to figure out why all my posts were bouncing. Turns out that Google automatically rejects e-mail where the outgoing SMTP domain differs from that of the "From" address. I use my local ISP's SMTP server for all outgoing mail, since Gmail routinely rejects most attachments.

Setting up a new account in Thunderbird that uses Gmail outgoing seems to have solved the problem.

Steve