Re: [N8VEM-S100:2856] Help Programming PAL's/GAL's

On 3/21/2014 9:31 PM, monahanz wrote:

Has anybody in this group had experience in the past programming simple
GAL’s.

I helped some of the folks recreating the Heathkit H89 with more modern
parts a few months ago.

The original H89 used fusable link PROMs as decoders - which are mostly
unobtainable or expensive. I redesigned the logic so that we could use a
bunch of GAL16V8s.

I uses the PALASM4 Ver 1.5 from:

http://www.engr.uky.edu/~melham01/ee481/software.htm

I also used DOSBOX.

I don't see anything wrong with your design.

I don't think PALASM4 supports GALS. Somehow the person that built the
board converted from 16L8 format to 16V8 format.

I wouldn't assume that a .JED file for a 16L8 would work with a 16V8. The JED file is a fusemap.

Also different manufacturers have different programming algorithms.

What part are you using, exactly?

Rob.