Re: [N8VEM-S100:7043] Free 51/4 inch floppy disks

> On May 19, 2015, at 3:36 PM, John Parsons <jpars...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I haven't dug through all of them yet, but will post here when I do.I just got them recently, and haven't scoured them. What markings would I look for, other than multiple holes in the recording surface of the disk?
>
> Would a paper punch work for you guys??
>
> :-)

There’s 10 extra index holes (the small hole next to the big centre hole) - if you spin the media inside the jacket, you’ll see a whole stream of index holes instead of just one per revolution.

This is a very onerous way of finding them.  The label will probably say something about being hard sectored.

But unless you know the collection of floppies came from someone who owned a very small subset of antique computers (basically the NorthStar Horizon or the Heathkit H8 I think) then there will probably not be any there.

As for the hole punch, I heard that someone built a jig to rotate the media the correct number of degrees in order to punch, but that is a lot of work :)

Ian