RE: [N8VEM-S100:6175] May I have a folder ?

Hi Todd,

Great idea to use stronger solder for the SD mount!  I wish I thought of that!  I may just have to get the solder sucker out and do it right!

J2 needs to be 74HCT245 if you are connecting to an original IMSAI FP board.  I didn't spend any time researching why the 74LS245 chip didn't work.  I just noticed the signals weren't getting through, so I tried the HCT, it worked, I moved on to the next task/problem.  I hope you don't think less of me for such an approach.  The whole design took many hours and many revisions to solve all the problems.  Before doing this project, I thought the IMSAI front panel was a direct copy of the ALTAIR front panel, but now I know all the details.  There is no doubt the IMSAI front panel was inspired and parts of it was a copy of the ALTAIR, but you can see that IMSAI made a few improvements in the design.

There are two ways to kill the Shadow ROM.  One is upon access to the SD Card, the other is via bit 0 of the output port.
In the early version of firmware, I would copy the ROM (which contained the Monitor and CP/M BIOS) to upper RAM, then after the copy, the SD card is accessed, thus mapping out the ROM.  The next instruction in RAM is a Jump to the Boot options (Monitor or CP/M).  The latest version of firmware finds a HEX file on the SD card, loads it into RAM then puts two instructions in RAM and jumps to those instructions.  Those instructions are the output that will turn off Shadow ROM and then jump to the file just loaded.  It was done this way, so the HEX file that is loaded can be anywhere (except the top 1K).

So to answer your question, this jumper changes depending if you are using early firmware or the latest firmware.

Regards,
Josh