Re: [N8VEM-S100:2045] Voltage Regulator

On Nov 13, 2013, at 11:38 AM, monahanz <mon...@vitasoft.org> wrote:

> Excuse the above quick comment. I re-read the post.  Do I understand it that for currents near 2 amps and above we are better going with TO-3's.   Using an 8 to 8.5V input.

In general, a TO-3 will handle high current better, but they're also designed to be attached to much bigger heatsinks if necessary (e.g. ones that cover the side of an entire chassis).  You're not going to get significantly better thermal performance out of a TO-3 attached to a small heatsink than you will out of a TO-220 attached to a similarly sized one (though it is obviously better than zero benefit).

- Dave