RE: [N8VEM-S100:665] 6502 board resistor networks

Not to beat this thing to death but further for my comments on my iPhone
yesterday (complete with its mis-spells etc):-

In general there are three types of pull-up resistors on S-100 boards. In
all cases the decision is between power consumption and signal shape/slew.
If there are just a few pull-ups on a board one usually uses a low value
like 1K.  However a number of boards have quite a few, thus the use of
resistor network chips.  Let's look at each case.

1.  Tying an unused TTL input high.
Usually 1 K is used - though you can definitely use lower values.  If one of
a dual input (e.g. 70LS00) sometimes both inputs are tied together. Sucks a
little more power but for LS ok, probably not for 74Sxx or 74Hxx.   If the
input is shared with say 5 or more other TTL inputs fan-out/loading starts
to become an issue. Signals start to slew. Use a separate 1K pull-up rather
than tie inputs together.  If you are board power utilization concerned, you
can use higher values for a single unused input at least up to 4.6K.  At
these values susceptibility to board noise can be a worry at high speeds.

2  Tying open collector outputs high. First must be done.  1K is most
typically used for the 1-10MHz ranges we typically use.  You can go higher,
however in critical areas (for example clock inputs to LSI chips where
signal slew is important) at least 1K is desirable, some cases 500 Ohms.
However in general for fast critical signals you should not use OC driven
signals anyway.

2. Outputs to S-100 bus lines. This is where it gets complicated. Much has
been written on this. Where the bus is terminated is a big factor.  1K is
usual for OC lines BUT that assumes only one board is pulling the OC line up
on the bus.  If you have multiple boards (or front panel) with the same line
being pulled up the OC signal can run into problems. In these cases 2k, 4.7K
is often used.  That is why on our 8086 board we have these pull-up
resisters with a jumper option.   For bus lines the higher the signal
frequency the lower the pull-up signal should be to get sharp rise and fall
times.

Seeing some comments from time to time here I think people worry too much
about resistor values. First most resistors are +- 10%.  Only if you really
want to tweak the board for absolute max speeds does the value come into
critical play.   In the boards Andrew and I have done, if there are
absolutely critical values we will mention them as such. Offhand the only
ones I can remember are a few on the ZFDC board around the WD2983 chip.

Hope this helps
John

John Monahan Ph.D
mon...@vitasoft.org