Re: A thought on enclosures - G10 FR4

I did a quick sketch showing what I am thinking.  It's incomplete (needs more interfaces, spots for fans, etc)

Material used would be (http://www.eplastics.com/Paper_Phenolic_Sheet):
1 - 0.25 x 1 x 48 inch bar @ $8.66 ea (for the reinforcing "posts")
2 - 0.125 x 24 x 24 inch sheets @ $22.20 ea (for the base plate, sides, and card guides
1 - 0.063 x 24 x 24 inch sheet @ $13.10 (for a lid)
Total material cost - ~$66.

Groves and holes would be precut in the front and rear panels for interfaces, etc and the mating of the card guides.  Groves would be cut in pieces of material to create card guides.  The upright posts would have press-in inserts installed for fasteners for the lid.

Everything would be shipped flat.  The receiver would get some epoxy (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm), epoxy the posts to the sides, epoxy the sides to the base, epoxy in the front/rear plates, and then epoxy in the card guides.   (Possibly a section of the front and or rear plates could be cut out to allow for front panels or changes to ports on the back).

I might build a prototype to see if those material thicknesses work.  It seems like this could be a good way to make an S-100 enclosure kit without breaking the bank.

Andrew