S100 Serial IO Design Question

I was sitting here staring at my 8080 CPU board and have a general question
about serial ports. I guess my question is directed at Josh but feel free to jump in.

Josh's board uses the 8250 (or 16550) design. The chips are large and need
the 1488 & 1489 line drivers, so require a lot of real estate especially for two
ports.

Could the MAX 232 serial chips have been used as an alternative?

I think I may know the answer. Compatibility with older legacy software and/or
desire to hold  true to legacy design.

--
Don Caprio
ilv...@gmail.com